Saturday 25 February 2017 – Ryman Premier League

Billericay Town 4 – Hendon 1

Billericay made it seven wins from their last eight games as they powered past Hendon in front of a bumper New Lodge crowd.

The Blues made a couple of changes from the side that had reached the final of the Alan Turvey Trophy in midweek with Captain Rob Swaine returning from injury and the industrious Abs Seymour coming back into midfield.

Hendon made a bright start which belied their league position and forced Alan Julian into some early action. Firstly, the big ‘keeper did well to block Charles’ shot after he had cut inside Diallo and then he dived full length to push Barrington’s drive from the edge of the box behind for a corner.

Billericay punished Hendon for their profligacy in front of goal in the 12th minute. Taaffe sent a free-kick into the box, which the Hendon defence failed to clear and SWAINE reacted first as the ball bounced around and he drilled his shot home from ten yards. Billericay were now on their way and Greens’ keeper Tom Lovelock made a good save from Bricknell’s shot after Seymour’s lung-busting run and cross had set him up.


BRICKNELL did get his goal after 21 minutes and again Seymour was at the heart of the action. His deep cross from

the left flank was headed back across goal by Taaffe and Bricknell was on the spot to head home from six yards. Hendon almost pulled one back straight away but McLeod-Urquhart’s shot was brilliantly saved by Julian. Hendon did bundle the ball into the net from the resulting corner but it was disallowed as Lee had fouled The Blues’ stopper.

Billericay added a third after 28 minutes as Abs Seymour’s corner from the right-hand side caused panic in the Hendon penalty area. Again, it was a Billericay player who reacted first to the loose ball, this time it was BRICKNELL who finished emphatically from close range.

The Blues made a strong start to the second half and Bricknell almost completed his hat-trick but he scuffed his effort and Lovelock was able to make the save. Lewis Taaffe then got on the end of a Johnson long throw but his powerful shot was blocked behind for a corner. Billericay scored a fourth after 66 minutes as Tambeson Eyong collected the ball from a Bricknell header and drove into the box before squaring to CUNNINGTON who was left with a simple tap-in.

To their credit, Hendon kept going and they got on the scoresheet two minutes later. Julian did well to push away a strong shot from Stanislaus but it fell nicely for Barrington who was on hand to side foot home the rebound.

Billericay were content to manage the game out now although Julian made another good save when Hendon sub Kezie Ibe was put through. The last chance of the game was Billericay’s as Eyong played the ball into the Hendon box and Rumens badly sliced his attempted clearance but Lovelock saved his blushes as he managed to back pedal and tip the ball over the bar.

Blues: Julian, Diallo, Fitzsimons, Eyong, Swaine (Moore), Ellul, Taaffe, Johnson, Bricknell (Layne), Cunnington, Seymour. SNU: Krasniqi, Assombalonga, Giddens.

Attendance: 561 Town Crier MoTM: Billy Bricknell

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This